Thursday, October 7, 2010

The lord voldemort of half-marathons


Okay so maybe the half marathon could have been
worse.....

Ha Ha during
Ha Ha after
Me during
Me after

So basically the half marathon kicked my biggggg booty!!
I knew it was going to be hard, so I trained hard. I trained for
hills (but not for mountains).
I finished and I guess that is what matters.
But it was nowhere near the time I wanted.
The first six miles were really hard but I was doing fine.
When I had the Gatorade at the half way stand it tasted like gold
and I was ready to go. I ran back down the mountain about a half mile
and saw Ha ha about ready to die. So I stopped walked with her to the top
and made my mistake....
I drank two more half-cups of gold!! MISTAKE!!!
"Don't drink it, DOOOOOOOONTTTTTTTT, and for hell's sake put
the banana DOWN. You already ate a banana!! Your gonna see that banana again Cat... listen to yourself"
Looking back that is about what I should have been saying to myself at that point.
But I have a indulgence problem. Hence the reason I can't ever make sweets at my house.
Because if one brownie tasted so great just imagine what the whole pan would taste like!
So I had my second snack stop, walked with Ha a little bit more
and decided I should run the rest of it. I did okay until around
mile ten. I was feeling it and feeling it BAD!! I asked the guy in front of me
the, "are we there yet" question and when he said two more miles I lost it.
Literally.... it being my three cups of gold and banana.
After that it was a right foot in front of the left sort of a thing until the finish
line.
So if I had to do it again I would change:
1. Not make my 1st half-marathon a trail one that goes straight up a mountain.
2. limit myself on the drinks
3. have all babies weened.
(there was no problem, but I think it would help as far as fluid intake, energy etc)

But I am still happy I did it. And I still enjoy running.
Three things that made me happy I did it are:
1. I am FINALLY at my pre-pregnancy weight.
(that is what I get for the first tri-mester goldfish and lemon donut diet)
2. I am now able to do longer distance runs.
3. It gave me a goal and a reason to get out and exercise.

So now that it is over I need a new goal.
I ran 11 miles on the local bike path just fine, so I am
thinking a pavement type race.
Than I did some research on the
LA marathon.

It looks and sounds great. It is in March which is my goal month for me to get to my goal weight. It goes through all the
great sites of downtown LA and through Korea town.
and most importantly IT IS FLAT!!
Here is the map of our
half marathon
and one of the LA marathon.


3 comments:

Robyn said...

Well done Cat! That's a great achievement, and I think you look great BTW! Maybe someday, I'll be able to start running again, and get conditioned enough to run a 1/2 marathon.

Amber Blair said...

Way to go Cat!! Trail runs don't sound fun at all! I'll stay away from those now for sure!! :)
You look great!!

*MARY* said...

You are amazing!
I couldn't even finish a 1/10 marathon.
I can finish a whole entire pizza though, so I've got that going for me.